How to Wax Your Bicycle Chain for Better Performance and Longevity!
Waxing your bicycle chain is a great way to improve its performance, longevity and save watts. Wax provides a smooth, low-friction surface that helps the chain to run more efficiently. It also repels dirt and moisture, which can help to prevent wear and tear on the chain and other drive train components. This is an extra bonus, especially when you are cycling in the dusty roads in the UAE.
What you need:
Our recommended steps on how to wax your bicycle chain:
- Clean your chain thoroughly. This is important, as any dirt or debris will prevent the wax from adhering properly. Check out our chain cleaner and degreaser that you may use to clean your chain. Wolfi's has products from both FinishLine and UFO.
- Melt the wax in the rice cooker. You can use either block wax or flake wax. If you are using block wax, you will need to grate it into small pieces first.
- Suspend your chain in the melted wax. You can do this by threading your chain through a spoke or coat hanger and then suspending it over the slow cooker.
- Let the chain soak in the wax for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the chain from the wax and allow it to drip dry.
- Wipe off any excess wax with a clean cloth.
Wax your chain regularly. The frequency of waxing will depend on how often you ride and the conditions in which you ride. However, a good rule of thumb is to wax your chain every 2-3 months. Waxed chains require less frequent cleaning and lubrication, which saves you time and money.
It's a relatively simple process that can be done at home with a few basic tools and materials. So why not give it a try?